Sunday, December 24, 2017

Getting To Know the Stuntman - 650B and more

As stated in an earlier post, I bought a brand new Raleigh Stuntman within a week of moving to Pittsburgh. Before I had even finished paying it off, I'd already started modifying it.


That's not to say that it was really "inadequate" in every way, but those who know me know that I cannot leave well enough alone. (Disclaimer: I know the brake rotors are mounted backwards in these photos. I wasn't thinking straight that day)


First things first. I bought a pair of DT M1900 Spline 650b (27.5") wheels to combat toe overlap. I also did so to reduce weight because while the original wheels were good and strong, they were heavy and the ride quality reflected that. The rims have straight-pull spokes which means only having 28 of them is not such a big deal. I also bought a pair of Schwalbe Thunder Burt tires, after much research. I liked the versatility that the original Clement Xplor MSO tires provided - the smaller-treaded, smoother riding center with knobbier edges. The Schwalbes have more knobs in the center but do not ride any slower. For that matter, this wheel set rides noticeably faster both on pavement and on the dirt. I am running them tubeless, which required some help for the first time (and a CO2 cartridge). The front tire is actually a faster version of the Thunder Burt with a thinner carcass, which was sent to me by accident but that's just fine. As a bonus, the bike now looks like it has better proportions than before, given the small-ish 54 cm frame.


I figured since I was pulling off the entire wheelset, someone might want the whole deal so I used the chance to also buy a lighter cassette. This is a SunRace CS-MX8 11-speed 11-44t cassette (replacing the SRAM Rival 11-42. It is much lighter and looks a lot better. I'm pretty sure it falls short in longevity but since the Stuntman isn't the bike that covers the most miles, I don't think I'll wear it out quickly. It shifts just as smoothly.


The new fenders greatly reduced toe overlap, to the point where it's nearly nonexistent. Totally nonexistent if I'm not clipped in. I did have to extend the mounting tabs for the fenders, and the rack now sits pretty high above the rear wheel, but it's nothing to worry about.


The Stuntman is even more fun now. If it had encouraged me before to take the long way through the park to class, it now urges me to. It encourages me to ride even harder and even faster. I still haven't wiped out on the gravel yet, which is a sign that I'm not trying hard enough. And reducing the weight of the bike means I can carry more ... well, technically. I sometimes ride across town to my friends' houses to cook food and hang out, and this bike is actually a lot better at carrying loads than the Lotus is. Partly because of the longer stays, partly because of the lighter weight and closer gear ratios, and partly because of the better brakes.


And just some funny parts of the adventure along the way ... I realized one day that my outfit was matching the Stuntman exactly. Another day, I found out that I was going at such a perfect speed at just the right time that some bird poop ended up on the seat post, and nowhere else. We have not been having much snow so far, but I am excited to try it out on the trails then.


Lastly, I had a fortune cookie one day when I rode this bike and found that the fortune was perfect for the bike. I'd say that most of my bikes are pretty moderate or traditional in most ways, and this one is decidedly less so. I taped the fortune on the rear fender.


No comments:

Post a Comment