Saturday, January 31, 2015

Monroe, MI

Early in January, I went to a model train swap meet with a high school friend and a few of his modeling buddies.  We rode in a pristine 2001 Ford Excursion with 260,000 miles on it all the way to Monroe, MI and proceeded to spend a few hours at the place poking around.  I'm new to modeling trains but seeing as trains were one of the first interests I had in life, I felt more than ready to start.  At the moment, there's too much for me to make sense of except for the fact that good stuff is readily accessible.  Apparently, Hot wheels made 1:87 scale (HO) cars.  I thought my favorite scale was S scale (1:64) because it matched with the hundreds of Hot wheels I already have, but it doesn't seem very common at all.

After the swap meet, we drove around town and looked at certain old landmarks and railroad bridges.

Who's Ta? Oh man, what a great Chinglish pun

One such place was a bridge with rails on it dating to 1913.  


Apparently, the bridge is now used by CSX and a few jokes were thrown around but I'd love to look more into the history.  

Coincidentally, the previous owner of my new '79 Raleigh Superbe lived in Monroe so I was able to drive past all of this for a second time.  That being said, I don't think I'd mind living in this quiet, old town.  There are plenty of old country roads in the area to satisfy my cruising needs, whether by bike or car.  The architecture is certainly nicer and more interesting than that of my home town and the downtown area looks to be made of more than just two intersecting streets.  I hope to come back someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment