Sunday, December 24, 2017

Fixed Gear, For Real

In a previous post about the 2-speed Hercules, I had commented about how, despite the amount and intensity of hills in Pittsburgh, I did not usually feel the need for more gears even when the hills were part of the ride.


I had been meaning to build a fixed-gear for a while now, but the impending onset of the winter, as well as the fun-ness (not a word, right?) of the Hercules motivated me further in doing so.

 

First things first, I started out with this Giant-made 1984 Takara Prestige. It was the perfect size, not in terrific shape, but also made of butted 4130 chromoly steel which would theoretically make for an even better ride than my old Ross. Because of the forward-facing horizontal dropouts, I had to find a way to keep the rear axle from sliding forward. I found some Promax C-1 chain tensioners (or tugs, whatever you call them) that I could file down to make compatible with the bike.


I also selected a set of Weinmann DP-18 wheels which match the ones on the Hercules. In addition, since I wanted to keep the option of swapping rear wheels between the bikes, I used a 20-tooth rear cog which meant I had to go with a 56t front chain ring. To my surprise, I didn't need a longer bottom bracket spindle.


My favorite Continental Tour Ride 700x32 mm tires help the bike handle in the snow. These rims are actually very narrow and Weinmann suggests a 25 mm tire at the widest, but I find that the 32's handle just fine and are not squirmy at all.


I used a quill-threadless adapter for the stem to leave the possibility for easy stem changes, if needed. The front brake setup imitates that of my Raleigh Twenty. I had been looking for a track handlebar with a single brake lever that I was sure I had, but couldn't find it for the life of me. I went to one of the local shops (more on that later) and found this nice 1970s randonneuring bar with a very comfortable bend and a single brake lever. The perfect kind of brake lever, actually, with the adjusting barrel built in. I think the brake needs a little more work, as it could benefit from one of those rigid 90-degree housing curves that they use on V-brakes.


The fixed-gear is properly fun to ride. I had a chance to experience this (not counting this one, despite the title of this post) a couple summers prior when I was the temporary custodian of a Pure Fix that belonged to my roommate at the time (after he traded for the Pake 2-speed). I found that my riding was faster, despite the lack of extra gears, simply because since I couldn't coast, I found myself pushing and spinning even faster. It was fun. The geometry of this road bike is just a little more relaxed, and the tubing is perhaps a little less stiff due to age and other factors, so it's not quite as crazy and fast but I did set one of my faster commute times with it.


Even when traversing some of the hillier parts of Pittsburgh like Lawrenceville and Bloomfield, I have found the fixed-gear to be quite okay. Aside from offering a different experience because I can't coast, I think part of the reason why I find the steeper hills doable is that I come to terms with the fact that the ascent won't be quick. With multi-geared bikes, I tend to mash up the hills as quickly as I can which makes me tired. The bike is so much fun that I've been riding it pretty exclusively for the past week or so.


Now, about this bike shop. The first bike shop I went to in Pittsburgh was Iron City Bikes in Oakland, just a couple blocks from my house. However, when I couldn't find a certain peculiar part for the Lotus at one point, they forwarded me to Kraynick's, halfway across town, and assured me that I'd like it. I discovered that Kraynick's is exactly my kind of place.


The previous owner, Gerry Kraynick, has amassed mountains of used and NOS parts from over 40 years of fixing bikes and buying out bike shops. He had just sold it to a guy named Rocky over a month ago. Both Gerry and Rocky are extremely kind and knowledgeable, and they even have a space in the shop for you to work on your bike for free.


And if that wasn't enough, the entire building, which is three stories tall, is absolutely stuffed full of nice parts. I wish they had an ebay shop or something - not for me, since they're just a bike ride away, but perhaps to help them and other bike enthusiasts exchange money for needed parts. I almost bought a lugged Tange fork with cantilever brazes on it for the Lotus, but was told that the posts were too high up for 650b wheels.


I still went home with a ton of goodies for a very reasonable price: fenders, stem adapter, and bars for the fixed-gear, a mid '60s Raleigh fender, and a 1970s NOS Raleigh Superbe fork with the keys still in it which alone was just $35. I figured that with the amount of miles I put on my Superbe and the speed at which I do it, coupled with the fact that the fork has already been spread apart and later unspread, I may need a new fork sooner or later. If you ever find yourself remotely near Pittsburgh and need any sort of new or old bike parts, GO TO KRAYNICK'S! (not a sponsored message)



No comments:

Post a Comment