Sunday, July 20, 2014

New Tunes! Drum & Bass for Summer 2014

During my junior year in high school, my love for electronic music grew to its high point.  I was into electro house and drum & bass genres, and I still am.  However, soon after that, I started discovering a lot of more instrumental music genres such as '60s soul, Motown, funk, classic rock, etc.  They started to overshadow the electronic types for me.  As stated in a previous post, my parents raised me solely on classical music so my musical taste was completely self-developed.  I was not exposed to the works of Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, and Lynyrd Skynyrd the way most kids had been in their childhood.

I only listened to electronic music for two distinct periods of time in all of last year and most of this summer had been spent listening to classic rock, southern rock, and country.   Part of the reason was that there just aren't any local radio stations that played other kinds of instrumental music that I grew to love so much.  The tape player in my car stopped working so I spent the spring semester listening to 94.7 WCSX, 99.5 WYCD, and 102.9 WWWW while commuting to and from school.  Also, rock- and country-like genres don't seem to demand a special mood or anything from me; I can listen to them any time and they'll fit the situation.


While I still listen to 94.7 during the day while I work on my bike, two recent tracks rekindled my love for electronic music.  While rock and country fit the summer mood for me because they contain heat and energy, drum & bass goes with summer for another reason: it washes over me like cool water, relaxing my senses.  After a long day of working on my bike on Thursday, these new tracks, which happen to be from the same artist, were like taking a deep breath of fresh air.  Changing is more pop-oriented than Sigma's usual stuff, but I still love it. The nice '59 Chevy Impala lowrider in the video was a bonus.

)

The vocal sample and chords in Nobody To Love are from Bound 2 by Kanye West.  The first thing I felt was that this track is what I wanted Bound 2 to be.  Just those chords and vocals, uninterrupted, even though Bound 2 is still a pretty good track.  It then occurred to me that the vocal sample might not be original to Kanye's track and there could be a song from which it originated, but no.  Soul singer Charlie Wilson sang for Bound 2, interestingly enough.  Bound 2 also samples Bound by Ponderosa Twins Plus One and the "Uh huh honey" from Brenda Lee's Sweet Nothin's.


No comments:

Post a Comment